Monday, September 10, 2007

What a day!

When I was little I used to love to read my Grandmother's issues of Farm Wife magazine (later called Farm Woman and now Country Woman). My favorite part was a section called "Why Farm Wives Age Fast" which was stories of funny things that happened to women around the house and farm. Today qualifies as a "Why Mothers Age Fast" Day.

To begin with, I kept my friend's two children this morning. No problem--they are great kids. My two oldest had a blast playing with them. The problem was that I needed to leave for a doctor appointment after lunch. I was to drop them off at another home on the way to the doctor.

Well I forgot that it would take longer to round up 5 kids than it does to round up 3 kids. I also forgot to take into account that we would have to rearrage car seats and booster seats before leaving. So I was already running a bit behind before I started to get everyone headed to the truck to leave. Then I noticed that both of my (previously ready to go) girls needed to have clean outfits. So we did that. Then I realized my friend's son was shoeless. I inquired about his shoes and discovered that they were on my roof. No not the roof of the truck, the roof of the house. "Why??" you ask. I have no idea. Neither boy would give me a straight answer.

So we spent a few minutes trying to get the shoes off the roof but they were out of reach, even with the use of a ladder. Since by this point I had just enough time to get my friend's children dropped off and make it to my appointment I told my friend's son to put on a pair of my son's shoes. But my son's shoes were too small. At this point I wondered if I would have to take him shoeless. Finally I found a pair of my plain white tennis shoes that fit him so we loaded up and left with his shoes still on my roof. Boys---you gotta love them. :>)

Dropped them off and headed to the doctor with my own children. We made it on time! It was three minutes before my appointment time when I signed in. :) Once there I decided to leave my oldest two in the waiting room while I went back. I have found that 3 children in a tiny exam room is a bit overwhelming. So when my name was called I headed back with my 2yo in tow.

We stopped in the restroom to leave the necessary urine sample. While in there my 2yo managed to pull the "emergency call" chain next to the toilet.

Then we made it to the exam room. While waiting for the doctor my daughter tipped over a metal tray/table (those little tables they lay thier tools on). The metal tray and the metal frame both crashed LOUDLY which caused about 3 nurses and the doctor to burst through the doorway asking "Is anyone hurt?!?!?" That's one way to get the attention of the medical staff!

I gave my daughter a copy of Birds and Blooms magazine that was in the exam room. I was hoping that she would stay busy looking at the pictures while I talked with the doctor. It worked....sort of. Everytime she saw a bird (which, being Birds and Blooms, was every PAGE) she loudly exclaimed "Cock-a-doodle-doooooo!" So my conversation with the doctor was punctuated by lots of rooster sounds. :>)

Now we are home. Everyone is fed, bathed, and ready for bed. I think I'm going to pour myself a diet pepsi with lemon and try to relax. What a day. :>)

P.S. After we returned home my son was able to get our friend's shoes off the roof by snagging them with a hook on a fishing pole. It was his idea to try the fishing pole and it worked! I was proud of his creative thinking.

No comments: