Thursday, September 6, 2007

New School Year

We started our new school year this week. It is going really well so far. All of the curriculum I have selected seems to be exactly right.

My 10yo is continuing with Saxon math with the D.I.V.E. cd-rom. To tell the truth, I find Saxon very boring but it seems to work for him so we are sticking with it. The DIVE cd's are wonderful! They are worth the investment if you are going to use Saxon. I am so glad that I learned about them. For those of you who are unfamiliar they are cd's that are a companion to the Saxon book. They feature a short lecture for each lesson where the student can watch the instructor work the sample problems. Very nice!

We are planning to do American history this year. After 2 years of ancient history we are looking forward to the change of pace! Some of the history books have not arrived yet so we are starting the year with a 4 week state history unit. He is studying electricity in science right now which he seems to enjoy. He is also reading Treasure Island.

My 5yo surprised me today. We were counting together. I asked her to count to 20 and instead she counted to 50 without missing a beat. Then my son told her she was halfway to 100 so she might as well keep going. She did keep going and counted to 100. :>) Then she announced that she could count backwards too and proceeded to count backwards from 12.

My 2yo loves for me to count with her also. I say the number and she repeats it. We do the same with the alphabet. She thinks this is great fun.

Tonight we went to the kick-off dinner for our homeschool group. It was so nice to visit with our friends again. The kids had a great time. My 5yo cried when it was time to leave. The kids will have p.e. classes, art classes, bowling days, and other events with this group during the school year.

Our water test kit arrived tonight so we will take the samples and get them shipped. This is one of the steps we need to take for our foster care license. This week I talked to the social worker who will do our homestudy. She is still waiting for our fingerprints to come back. As soon as they are back then we can schedule a date for the homestudy! My husband and I have appointments for our physicals and tb tests next week. We are just about to get all of the hoopjumping and red tape accomplished. :>) Our last training session is 9/29. I am hopeful that we will have everything else finished by 9/29 so that we can have our homestudy done as soon as our training is completed.

My friend who fosters told me that her home was the only foster family in our county with an open bed at the moment. Actually since she told me that a few days ago they took in another placement so they may be full now too. She thinks they will push our license through as soon as all of our training is complete because they need foster families right now. It is sad that there is a need for foster families, but it is good news that they are likely to grant our license in a timely manner. I know several foster families which dealt with a long delay from the time their homestudy/training/paperwork was completed until their license was actually granted. Hopefully that won't happen to us.

No comments: